Monday, March 16, 2020

Just wanted to explain to readers why I have been posting about my Indian CS & IT academic reform book

While I have not studied the situation now in 2020 in terms of poor employability of vast majority of Indian Computer Science (CS) and Information Technology (IT) graduates, I am quite sure that the situation has not improved significantly from how it was in 2011 to 2014 when I was studying this area in depth and writing about it on my blog which, in turn, is the main source for my book.

The software industry in India today gets its soldier-developers mainly from Indian academia, isn't it? So the poor quality of teaching of software development in Indian academia impacts software industry in India. I think it may be similar in many other countries in the world.

The private deemed universities & colleges in India who charge huge fees seem to do a decent job as they perhaps have to do so to be able to have a good placement record which is needed to attract parents who will pay their high fees. The IIT elite engineering educational institutions of India also produce capable graduates but they are an exception as they are very well funded by the government and get the cream of students.

But what about graduates from the vast number of other CS & IT educational institutions in India (which are regulated by UGC or AICTE) which I think teaches the overwhelming majority of CS & IT students in India? I think their standards of teaching software development continue to be poor. So India will continue to have large number of poor in software development skills CS & IT graduates being churned out every year from such educational institutions, who may find it difficult to get a good job. .... One wonders about social tensions arising from such unemployed or underemployed educated youth in India

I felt I should do my bit to help any current and future activists who want to improve teaching and practice of software development in Indian CS & IT academia, easily locate my ***past*** efforts on it. That may help them in their efforts.

Getting the book visibility on Google search as well as Google Scholar search are significant achievements, IMHO, in improving the ease with which the book can be found by current & future activists in this area.

My posts are part of my effort to put out the word about the book. The book is NOT-FOR-PROFIT and neither am I particularly interested in promoting my name. But a name has to be there for views to be considered as responsible views, and so I have no choice but to mention my name. ... My main interest and objective is in contributing to improving teaching and practice of software development in vast number of low cost/reasonable cost Indian colleges and universities that are regulated by UGC and AICTE (different from high-cost private educational institutions and elite IITs in India), through this book about past activism efforts of mine.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment