Wednesday, June 17, 2020

After long break due to COVID pandemic, I have resumed my book work; Applied for ISBN for hard bound Indian CS & IT Acad. Reform Activism book

It was on 13th March 2020 that I had placed the order for my first copy of my first hardback/ hard cover/ hard bound book: Indian Computer Science & Information Technology Academic Reform (Past) Activism Blog Book. Note that I had first published the paperback version of it.

Hard bound books have the potential to be in good shape for longer period of time than paperback. It is bulkier. It is also slightly more expensive (Rs.377 + shipping at Pothi.com, https://store.pothi.com/book/ravi-s-iyer-indian-computer-science-cs-information-technology-it-academic-reform-past-activis-0) as against the paperback version (Rs.325 + shipping at Pothi.com, https://store.pothi.com/book/ravi-s-iyer-indian-computer-science-cs-information-technology-it-academic-reform-past-activism-).

Hard bound books also take longer to produce (for print-on-demand printing like in my case). So before the 13th March 2020 order got ready to ship, India went into Janata (voluntary) curfew on 22nd March and into lockdown from 25th March, in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic. That froze production/shipping of my hard bound book!

Around a month ago, on 16th May 2020, I received that hard bound book! I have blogged about it here (post published only on 16th June 2020): https://eklavyasai.blogspot.com/2020/06/happy-to-receive-first-hard-bound-copy.html with the post having some pics of the hard bound book.

Yesterday and today, I started doing the next step of the work related to the hard bound book, which was fixing some issues in the cover page, and then applying for ISBN number for it. Given below is the fixed front cover page picture with title text moved slightly to the right.

[To open pic in larger resolution, right-click on pic followed by open link (NOT image) in new tab/window. In new tab/window you may have to click on pic to zoom in.]



I also modified the back cover page to have the description text in a smaller font. Given below is a pic of it.



Note that these cover changes are not yet incorporated in the book sale page. I will initiate that after I get the ISBN for it (more on that is given below).

A little while back today, I completed the ISBN 2nd level application work. Given below is a pic having the relevant data from isbn.gov.in (the Indian govt. agency that allots an ISBN).


I hope to get the ISBN allotted in the next few days time, after which I will add the ISBN number to the book title-verso page as well as back cover page, and also add price to back cover page. Then I will submit the changes to Pothi.com and after review, order a copy to check out whether the changes have got incorporated properly. That would hopefully finish my book self-publishing work for the hard bound version. I still need to get ISBN for Pothi.com paperback version of the book which is what I will do after the hard bound version work is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment