Friday, January 31, 2020

Internet search on: how to improve software development skills in Indian CS IT academia, gives my Dec. 2012 paper within top three results even now in Jan 2020

Last updated on 1st Feb. 2020

This post follows upon my recent post: Quite amazed that Internet search on: improve teaching of software development in Indian CS & IT academia, gives my Dec. 2012 paper as 1st or 2nd result even now in Jan 2020, https://eklavyasai.blogspot.com/2020/01/quite-amazed-that-internet-search-on.html.

The Dec. 2012 paper referenced above is:
Improve the Practice of Software Development in India by having a Software Development Career Track in Indian CS & IT Academia by Ravi S. Iyer.
Abstract: https://arxiv.org/abs/1202.1715 , PDF: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1202.1715 .

The word skills has become an important keyword in the context of discourse on employability of graduates in India. So I felt it is important to see where my paper stands in search results having the term skills in the search string.

The screenshots below (from incognito Chrome window to avoid bias towards my stuff) show that search on Google, Bing and DuckDuckGo search engines for term:
how to improve software development skills in Indian CS IT academia
gives my Dec. 2012 paper (pre-print and not published in peer reviewed academic publication) among the top three results!

  • Google search ranking: 3rd result (two screenshots are used to show the ranking)
  • Bing search ranking: 2nd result (with 1st result being another post of my Indian CS & IT academic reform blog)
  • DuckDuckGo search ranking: 2nd result (with 1st result being another post of my Indian CS & IT academic reform blog)

[To open pic in larger resolution, right-click on pic followed by open link (NOT image) in new tab/window. In new tab/window you may have to click on pic to zoom in.]








Like in the case of the high search ranking in previous post mentioned above, I am quite surprised and disappointed with these results too, as now in Jan. 2020, it is over 7 years since that paper was authored & updated, and put up publicly on arxiv.org.

I should also mention that in my paper I have chosen to use the term academia to refer to educational institutions in India that impart under graduate and post graduate education. The other term used for such institutions is "higher education".

Search for the term:
how to improve software development skills in Indian CS IT higher education
in Google, Bing and DuckDuckGo  ***does not*** give my paper or any post from my Indian CS & IT academic reform blog in the top ten results when I checked today (31st Jan. 2020).

No comments:

Post a Comment